News

Israeli settlers and forces attack Palestinian residents and journalists in Nablus

Nablus (The Inside Palestine)- Dozens of Israeli occupation forces and settlers earlier on Sunday raided the village of Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya in Nablus in the occupied West Bank and attacked its residents and students after trying to prevent their raid.

Local sources said dozens of Israeli settlers backed by the Israeli forces raided the village of Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya earlier today.

The settlers were seen chasing and intimidating the Palestinian students heading to their school in the early morning hours, obstructing their access to the school.

The residents of the village then tried to confront them and prevent the raid.

However, the occupation forces responded by attacking and beating the residents and parents who were securing the way of their children to the school.

They also attacked at least three journalists who were covering their attacks against the Palestinians, causing them severe bruises.

This attack is the second during four days, as last Wednesday, dozens of Israeli settlers and forces raided the village of Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya and attacked the residents.

The occupation forces fired tear gas canisters and rubber-coated metal bullets directly and intensively towards the residents and the students, injuring and suffocating at least 60 of them.

Israeli forces’ attacks against Palestinian students and residents of the village has increased lately.

Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya is a home to about 3,500 Palestinians, 20km south of the city of Nablus in the northern West Bank.

Two illegal Israeli settlements, Eli and Ma’ale Levona, straddle the sides of the village and are built on land belonging to it.

Every afternoon, Israeli forces are stationed at the village’s entrance near the main highway between Ramallah and Nablus.

Nearby Israeli soldiers patrol on foot as groups of schoolchildren from Lubban attempt to take alternative routes to get home following numerous settler and forces attacks.

Parents are forced to drive their children to and from school every day because they are scared of their children being hurt or arrested by the soldiers.

The schoolchildren are also forced to take an alternative route through village fields to get home as Israeli soldiers patrolled the main road.

In May, a Palestinian man named Nidal Safadi was killed when settlers and Israeli soldiers raided the village and jointly shot him four times.

According to an August 15 statement by Lynn Hastings, the UN humanitarian and resident coordinator for the occupied Palestinian territories, 24 Palestinian children – five girls and 19 boys – were injured by settlers in the West Bank since the beginning of the year.

“Israel has a responsibility to protect children and teachers from harassment and violence by settlers on their way to and from school – and in any event,” said Hastings.

“All parties must commit to the protection of children in accordance with international law no matter where they are.”

Thus, the residents of the village have decided to prevent Israel’s attacks against their schoolchildren and the village.

Source: QNN

Related Articles

Back to top button